Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Old Fashioned Snow Ice Cream

Well, here we are still snowed in. I am sure we will be able to go back to work tomorrow. All the schools in the county have been closed for two days and so has the library! We have been under a level three snow emergency which means we have not been able to go anywhere, and I have loved it.
There was a thing on the news about making ice cream out of snow. It reminded me that my mother, who is 93, used to tell us how her mom would have them go outside and get clean snow in a dishpan and make it into ice cream. I asked her once if she had Grandma's recipe and she said no, but she had one she had cut out of the Toledo paper years ago but had never tried it. She gave me the recipe and asked me to try it if we got a heavy snow - so tonight I asked Keith to go out and get me some snow and I made it. It tastes just like homemade ice cream that you make in the freezers.
Here is the recipe in case anyone would like to try it.
One gallon fresh fallen snow
2 1/2 cups milk
2 eggs
1 1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg.
Combine milk, eggs, sugar, vanilla and nutmeg and beat until eggs are well blended with all other ingredients. Pour over snow and stir (I used a whisk) until all are blended. It will become thick like real ice cream and ready to serve. It may be set out in a covered container in the snow until ready to serve.
We ate ours right away and put the left overs in the freezer.
Hope some of you will try it. It is really good.

3 comments:

kevin said...

Sounds good, but I think we have too much yellow snow in our yard!

Kathy said...

They are calling for two inches of snow today and two more on Saturday so maybe we will make some Sunday.

Katie said...

I will have to wait to try it next year when I'm not pregnant and can eat raw eggs. But it sounds GREAT!!