Thursday, June 24, 2010

Storm Damage to the Town Hall in Edgerton














































Today I went to Edgerton to see the damage to the Town Hall. I had heard that the roof had blown off, but I was not prepared to see the heartbreaking damage that was done. It appeared as if the building just imploded from the inside. The opera house upstairs had both the north and south walls blown out. The flea market across the street had its wall blown out on the east side and the windows broken out on the south side. I worked in the Town Hall for nine years and I just wanted to cry. The flag pole was bent at an odd angle, but the flags still flew. Our civil war monument, Clem, was broken into peices. He is in the tree mess looking through the bandstand in the one photo. That was also hard to take. We are hoping it can be repaired and put back up.




I had dominos club here last night and it rained very hard and the wind blew. We did not go to the basement although I told them we could if they wanted. Just one and a half miles north and about a mile south there was damage to some businesses in the industrial park. The most damage was on Indiana and Lynn Streets. When we looked out in the morning, our chicken enclosure (a 6 x 12 dog run) was not visable from the house. It had blown over behind the garage and was bent up but Keith could repair it. The chicken coop was on it's side and five of our chickens were in the back yard. Our favorite chicken, Myrtle, was no where to be found. I go out and check every once in a while...but no Myrtle. I will post a picture of her, she was both of our favorite's chicken. When we decided which ones to have dressed. We both said....not Myrtle. Silly, I know.

2 comments:

kevin said...

Oh, wow! That is crazy. I'm so glad that you all are safe, but I'm sorry to hear about Myrtle. Maybe she blew away to Oz...

Kathy said...

Maybe so. She still has not shown up. If one had to blow away to Oz...it would have been fitting to have been Belina. (Got her name from the Wizard of Oz chicken)Drove by again today. Still sinking in. They uncovered Clem are going to try to reconstruct him and put him back up. I'll bring down the newspaper articles when I come down so you can see them if I remember.